Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Not exactly "High Art" . . rather "cute art" instead.

It's been 2 weeks since my last post. One week I spent relaxing on the gulf coast of Florida . . ahhhh. The rest of the time I spent assembling art projects made by 79 kindergartners. My fingers are sore!

As a fundraiser at my daughter's elementary school, each class is making an art project to be auctioned. I volunteered to do all  four of the kindergarten classes and came up with the idea of creating lampshades. Do you remember making shrinky-dinks back in the 70's & 80's? You draw on a piece of plastic, pop it in the oven and it shrinks to about 50% of it's original size.  It's so much fun . . . until of course,you've shrunk over 200 of them.  

Each child made 2 drawings on clear shrinky-dink tiles that I had pre-cut and punched holes in.  I shrunk them all down, assembled them with jump rings and attached them to a lampshade clip-top wire.  I then made a light diffuser by creating a cylinder of vellum which attached to the clip-top behind the shrinky-dinks. And voila!  You have 4 cool table lamps made from kindergarten art! They'll be auctioned off at A Girl Thing on March 23rd. It's a night of shopping, silent auctions, hors d'oeuvres, drinks and desserts. 

Click on the photo for a larger view.

I dropped them off at the school today so the kids could see the lamps before they are sold.  The kids were so excited trying to find their pictures on the shade.

Lamps with their lights on.

Now I hope they bring in lots of dough!  I need to come up with a starting price for each - what do you think it should be?

4 comments:

  1. Wow Theresa, those are so cool! You are certainly multi-talented. I am sure they will bring an amazingly high price.They look fantastic with the light on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing something similar for my twins' kindergarten class art auction. I was going to house the shrinky dink art in old cardboard 35mm slide mounts, but am having a hard time finding them, so this would be a great resolution! What sort of Vellum did you get and where did you buy it? Would love your suggestion. Also, how much did they sell for? They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to recreate this project. Where did you get the clip top ring? Also, how did you get the Shrinky Dinks so even? I was trying yesterday and had all kinds of problems with the plastic sticking to itself and the edges coming out uneven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did u shrink them or just leave ? What size is the lamp in the picture?

    ReplyDelete